Saturday, April 7, 2007

Maya's Trip to Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital

I wanted to make sure that Maya’s bili went down so I decided to be more aggressive with her feeding schedule, feeding her every two hours and keeping her in the bili blanket for one hour intervals when she wasn‘t feeding. The doctor’s office wasn’t able to find a lab open on Saturday (holiday weekend) or a nurse to come to the home for Maya’s blood work, so we had to take Maya in to the ER. They drew her blood. I expected her levels to stay about the same. About an hour later, we got the call from the doctor saying Maya’s levels were in the danger zone (23) and she had to be admitted to Arnold Palmer Children’s Hospital in Orlando. She went on about Maya needing advanced treatment and possibly a blood transfusion. My head was reeling. We waited for a call saying they were ready for us and finally got to the hospital around 9pm. Maya was directly admitted and immediately put into a 3 light photo therapy incubator. She was weighing about 6 pounds 13 ounzes, a pound less than when we was born. She was not stooling or urinating. Esteban had to leave with Jayden and I sat there alone staring at Maya’s incubator. All kinds of things were going through my mind, but I knew that this was best for her. I just prayed.

1 comments:

Chau said...

I hate it when hospitals tell you all these things that they may do to your baby. I know they have to but it just adds to your anxiety and worry. I can only imagine what must have went through your head at this time.