Jayden is learning and growing in so many ways. He’s got all sorts of tricks up his sleeve. Jayden has learned how to climb. Now he is using this skill to get things done around the house. He climbs onto his highchair so he can reach the light switch. He climbs onto the chairs so he can get up onto the table. He used his bed rail to climb onto the dresser so we rearranged the furniture. Now, he uses his bed rail as a stepping stone to climb into the crib. He also uses his activity cube to climb over the baby gate. There’s no way to turn your back on him even once because you never know what he could be up to.
Fortunately, when he is alone with me he behaves like a normal two year old. He plays and keeps busy and entertains himself for what seems like hours, without ever getting tired. He still acts up, but listens fairly well when I address him. Daddy is helping by starting to get a bit stricter with him. Jayden knows that it’s not party time anymore when Daddy’s around. It used to be that Jayden would act all sorts of crazy when he was home with both Mommy and Daddy, but I’ve even noticed that Jayden’s behavior has improved when we are both home together. It’s when I’m busy that he looks for ways to get my attention and it’s usually with something that he shouldn’t be doing. Mostly, it’s when I nurse Maya that he turns to mischief. He does anything possible to get my attention. He’s even started to make these puppy dog faces that get me every single time. I can’t help but to literally crack up. He makes this sad face and drops his head so that his chin touches his chest, but rolls his eyes up to see if his look is working on me.
One thing I’ve done is to try to get Jayden back to his normal routine. Afternoon nap was first. Luckily it didn’t take long before he was back to his normal schedule. Night-night time was a little tougher. My sister helped me a lot with this. We would put Jayden down and read to him and tuck him in. It took many nights of going back to his room and saying night-night and re-tucking him in, but it worked. Now he’s back to his normal sleep schedule. He has started to wake up earlier than normal, but I think it’s because he knows that Daddy is home, but lately he’s back to sleeping until at least 7am. Esteban will change his diaper and get him his bottle and he lies in bed with us for at least one more hour. Lastly, we started to take Jayden back to daycare once a week. Jayden literally ran into Jena's arms. I know he was happy and it's an added bonus to me. I get one day of alone time with Maya and I’m free to take care of so many things that I never get to do anymore. On my first FREE day, I made a ton of calls, ran errands, organized and cleaned the house, etc. I made such a long list of things to do that I didn’t even get to rest or take care of ¼ of the things on my list. But I was happy. I was getting things accomplished.
One of the things I did on FREE day was to get my nails done. I was chatting with Nick, my nail tech. He’s got two kids of his own and I shared with him my woes with Jayden. He suggested taking something away from Jayden. At first I thought it wouldn’t work because Jayden isn’t attached to anything, except his Daddy which I would never dream of taking away. We started to remember our own childhood and having to kneel. He had to kneel on chopsticks. My parents always made me kneel on the floor, but I remember having cousins who had to kneel on dried beans or rice. I decided to combine the two ideas together. I talked to Jayden’s pediatrician, Dr. Jill about Jayden’s behavior. She said that Jayden’s age combined with the fact that he’s not the only child anymore is what’s causing his behavior to get so out of hand. I also asked about combining a time out with standing in the corner (instead of kneeling). She gave me her blessing so I started those this week.
At first he didn’t know what to make of it. He was crying hysterically and turning his head to try to find me, but I calmly moved his head back to the corner and kept him there for two minutes. Now he stands in the corner. Sometimes he cries. At the end of time out, I turn him to face me and ask him to listen to mommy. No means no. If Jayden doesn’t listen, he will get another time out. I then kiss him and he goes off to do his thing. Now, when I ask him if he wants a time out, he understands what I mean. It gets his attention and he remains serious and I re-direct him to another activity. This works most of the time. I’m happy to find something that helps me discipline him without me losing my sanity or my patience.
Monday, May 14, 2007
Jayden's Progress
Posted by Elizabeth at 11:02 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comments:
Sounds like you are handling Jayden just wonderfully! I've read a lot of advices from parents with more than 2 and they said to give him a toy that he can only play with while you are nursing. That way he feels like he's special too. Either that or turn on a dvd or keep him occupy on an activity before you nurse. I hope that helps!! I really don't know how you take care of them all by yourself.
Did you have a c-section with Maya? If so, how did you handle not able to hold Jayden for 6 weeks or more? I am worry that Ky-An won't be able to understand why I can hold his new sister and not him.:(
Post a Comment