Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Big Boy Undies

I made a stop at Target to pick up some diapers for Maya and while I was at it, I started to look for a pair of shoes for her. Jayden decided to get out of the shopping cart and take a look at the all the items in that particular aisle. I was looking for a 12-18 month shoe size when Jayden brings me a package and says “This.” I started to tell him to put it back, but I noticed that it was a pack of undies and I remembered that someone recommended that I get him some to help with potty training. So I asked him if he wanted it and he said yes, of course. I told him that they were big boy undies just like daddy for the potty. That didn’t seem to make an impact, but I picked them up anyway.

Later, I noticed Jayden was pushing and talking with a strained voice. I asked him if he had to go to the potty and he said, “Potty”. I thought for sure he had already gone, but he hadn’t so I took him to the potty and sat him down. We sat for a while and waited and looked at books and waited, but nothing. He kept showing me the undies, which he had quickly grabbed on the way to the potty, as if to ask if he could put them on. Finish potty first I said. But nothing was happening so after a while I put the undies on him and reminded him every few minutes to go to the potty. After about 30 minutes, he jumped up and said “Mommy, pee-pee.” I took him by the hand and quickly led him to the potty chair where I discovered he had already gone on his undies. He sat on the chair for a while, where he did finish relieving himself eventually. He then went running to the drawer to get a new pair of undies. No thank you said Mommy. When you learn to go potty like a big boy, then you can use big boy undies.

Can I consider this progress?

2 comments:

fixedonHIM said...

Wow Elizabeth...that is awesome progress!! Remember that he may not understand the undies thing the first couple of times he is in them but if you insist on him going on the potty every 30 minutes or so (or else the undies go!) I think it will motivate him and he will really get used to the concept and stop fighting it. In the meantime just have him sit on the floor and stay off the furniture and have pullups when he goes for a nap or at bedtime. Hope this helps...you are doing an awesome job :)

Jayden's birthday pic is adorable!!

Love,
Denise

Lauren said...

At least he's showing an interest! That's definitely progress. You may want to try letting him go completely bare-bottomed when you're at home. He may be less likely to have an accident. It worked for Jocelyn.