Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Crash Landing

What Jayden never even attempted, Maya mastered at 19 months. One night before bed, I noticed Maya was trying to fling her little leg over the side of the crib and I thought, any day now she'll be climbing out. And she did. The next day, I put her in her crib for nap and she popped right out. Twice. Note to self: convert the crib. That night just after story time, I was picking out the kid’s clothes for the next day. I was on my way to back to Jayden and Maya’s beds to say prayers, but I stopped to turn on the kid’s lullaby music. And I heard a crash. I turned around and there was Maya on the ground, screaming her little head off. She must have tried to pop out of the crib but instead of going on the side and landing in Jayden’s bed, she flew out of the front and fell face front onto the floor.

I was beside myself with worry and despair. I snatched her up and started to rock her and console her. I felt a huge bump on her forehead so I ran to get some ice. She was so mad about it, but finally she gave in and I was able to ice it down quite a bit. And Jayden kept asking, what happened (as if he didn’t see it with his own eyes)? What’s wrong (I wanted to say Duh! But of course I didn’t.) What’s that? ICE! (Grrr.) Jayden, please keep quiet and lay down. Maya got a boo-boo and it hurts. Why? What happened? And on it went.

Finally, Maya fell asleep in my arms and I don’t know if I was relieved or even more anxious. I held her for quite some time, and then lay her in bed, but I felt uneasy. I kept checking back to make sure she was ok. The next day, I was very disappointed to see that not only did she have a knot on her head, but she had quite a shiner. Poor baby. I converted the crib immediately. And Maya is slowly recovering from her injuries.

3 comments:

fixedonHIM said...

So glad she is OK...those can be pretty scary moments.

Madeline has a bruised knot on her head from Thanksgiving. It was an accident by one of our guests from his elbow when he was hugging her sister!

Chau said...

Oh poor Maya. It's never fun seeing your kids hurt. Ky-An is at that question phase also, even if he already knows what it is. I think it's cute though. LOL.

Photography By Alyssa said...

Glad Maya is ok. I know I hate when my kids get hurt. Girls seem to be determined to do things earlier then the boys..