Thursday, August 20, 2009

UPDATE: Reuniting a Family

August 20, 2009: We received the birth certificates. I quickly scan them along with all the final documents and head to the post office. I tried to overnight them, but that option is not available. (We were given an APO address.) The only option is Priority Mail. I went ahead and send them with delivery confirmation. Now, we wait.

August 19, 2009: The long awaited birth certificates are in the U.S. Now we wait for the US Postal Service.

August 5, 2009: We received the signed legal forms from the kid’s mother authorizing their move to the U.S.

July 23, 2009: The last thing required is Proof of Relationship between Parent and Child, or in my case, Petitioner and Stepchild. I spent a bit of time looking through old photo albums and digital images. I collected a few photos of us together along with letters written to me by the children over the years. I’m going to send these with copies of my passport showing my visits to Honduras. Transaction cost: $12.13 Total spent: $3361.44


July 22, 2009: We shipped off the legal forms to Holland for signature and anxiously await their return. At this point, I have to stop and confess that I am worried that the children’s mother may back down. I pray that she does what is best for the children, and that God illuminates her heart. May she sign the forms and allow the children to join our family here. In Jesus name… Transaction cost: $27.95 Total spent: $3349.31

July 20, 2009: Esteban accompanies the children to part II of their physical appointment. They receive their immunizations and the official forms for the American Consulate.

July 16, 2009: The appointment goes very well. There are a few things missing though so we do not receive visas today. Esteban is given a list of things to compile along with an address to mail them to. After that, the children will be asked to come back with any adult and they will receive their visas.
· Esteban made the children’s appointments for their physicals. Transaction cost: $829.49
· He had a lawyer draft the memo granting permission to remove the kids to the U.S. which will be mailed to the children’s mother for signature. Transaction cost: $158.78
· Esteban also secures a copy of Shannel’s police certificate, certifying she’s never been in trouble with the law. Transaction cost: $18.52
The last thing left will be the children’s long form birth certificates. Apparently, this is a different version than the ones we submitted. Esteban’s Tia Melida will help us with this when she travels to Honduras next month. Travel, room & board: $264.64. Total spent: $3321.36

July 13, 2009: Shannel arrives in Honduras, after a hard and long journey from Guatemala, where she lives with her husband and child. All three of Esteban’s children are together for the first time since last year. Transaction cost: $6.35 Total spent: $2049.93

July 9, 2009: I received an email saying the appointments have been scheduled for July 16, 2009 at 7:30 a.m. I am in awe of God’s power, for only He could make this happen in this way. Thank you, God, for answering our prayers. We put in calls to all our relatives asking them to stand with us in prayer, that God will show favor on our petition and grant the kid’s entrance into the United States. Shortly after, I received a second email asking us to bring all forms and documents with us to the scheduled appointment.

July 8, 2009: I drafted an email in response to the embassy. I gave them Esteban’s cell phone number as well as Jerry’s number, who is now the boy’s guardian in our absence. I also asked if we should drop off the DS-230 part I and II while Esteban is in the country. I wonder if I will need to be there as the petitioner?

July 7, 2009: I got an email from the embassy in Tegucigalpa saying they were ready to set an appointment for August 2009 and they wanted a local number to reach them at. I am shaking. Could this really be happening?

June 30, 2009: I called the National Visa Center to get some clarification on the visa packet. We finally have all the forms, passports, photos and documents we needed and filled out the forms, but when it comes to the NVC, I like to make certain. They proceeded to inform me that our case had been expedited. I just have to take a moment to say Thank You GOD! Because, I know, that I know, that I know, that all this is happening because of his goodness and grace. They said they sent the file to the US Embassy in Tegucigalpa, Honduras as of June 25th. I called the Embassy in Honduras and was given an email address to follow up with. I drafted and sent the email, the very same day. I’m hoping that Esteban can just hand deliver the forms to them while he visits.

June 5, 2009: We receive the visa application packet. The application doesn’t seem too bad. They are requesting a ton of original documents though. Many original documents, some of which we do not have. Luckily Esteban’s uncle was visiting in Honduras and he will bring us the children’s passports and updated passport photos. Because the kids are currently split up, he will only bring the boy’s updated passport photos though. Shanel’s photos and passport will have to wait until Esteban visits in July.

June 4, 2009: We send in our request to expedite the case, in Jesus name!

June 3, 2009: Things are getting worse in Honduras. Ricardito is in trouble and I am more desperate than ever to get him out of there and bring him home with us. I call immigration and they confirm they received the visa fee. The next step is the visa application packet. She tells me she will request for a packet to be emailed to me. I ask if there is any way to expedite the case. She said they will only expedite in the case of military or life and death. I explain our situation with the kids. She tells me to send in a request via email and submit a copy of the death certificate.

April 19, 2009: Esteban’s mother passes.

April 15, 2009: We sent in the visa fee. Transaction cost: $1207.99 Total spent: $2043.58

July 3, 2008: We received notification that they reviewed the documents submitted in support of an application for an immigrant visa but could not continue the case without the visa fee. We had two choices. We could send the payment, but Esteban would have to forgo his trip to Honduras. Or we could send Esteban to Honduras and wait to send the payment next year. At the time:
*Esteban had already skipped his trip to Honduras in 2007
*Esteban’s daughter bore a child out of wedlock and he was now a grandfather
*The children’s mother had decided to leave the country and the boys were practically on their own with their maternal grandmother
*Esteban’s mother’s health was declining
We decided that it was much more important for him to visit Honduras. The fee would have to wait.

June 23, 2008: I submitted the I864 and the I864A forms. I guesstimate that it took me a full two weeks of filling out applications, making phone calls, making copies, sorting through three years of financial data and organizing documents. Transaction cost: $12.45 Total spent: $835.59

April 25, 2008: We received notification that effective January 1, 2008, the immigrant visa fees increased from $380 to $400. Lucky us.

December 9, 2007: We received notification that they received the Agent of Choice letter but they could not continue until we submit the immigrant visa application fee of $380.

December 6, 2007: We sent in the Choice of Address and Agent form. This took a while because we were under the impression that they should be signed by the children personally. We later found out that because they were minor children, Esteban could sign the form on their behalf. Transaction cost: $4.80 Total spent: $823.14

September 3, 2007: We received notification to fill out the I864, Affidavit of Support. This was by far the most overwhelming application for me. I postponed the project many times and I considered giving up many times. This was my contract and promise to the children that I would be their sponsor. It was emotionally overwhelming. The directions alone were 11 pages long. The application was also 11 pages long.

August 22, 2007: We sent in the fees. Transaction cost: $214.65 Total spent: $818.34

August 6, 2007: We received the I864 processing fee bill for $70 each. We also received the Choice of Address and Agent form.

July 3, 2007: We received the I797, Approval Notice. We were thrilled.

June 16, 2007: We sent in the copies and translations. Transaction cost: $23.88 Total spent: $603.69

May 7, 2007: We received the I797E, requesting evidence. They wanted copies of the children’s birth certificates and notarized translation copies.

January 26, 2007: We received the I797, which is like a receipt. It confirmed that they received the petitions and the fee.

January 22, 2007: We sent in the I130 (immigrant petition for relative). At that time, these were $190 each. Transaction cost: $9.81 Total spent: $579.81

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Wow, Elizabeth. I don't know what to say. I'll be thinking of you and your family and hoping this process will end quickly and successfully for you.

fixedonHIM said...

What an awesome update...Praise God!

Standing in agreement with you all...you're almost there!! :)