Monday, February 12, 2007

Jayden's Ears and Words

I ended up taking Jayden to the doctor this morning. He slept pretty poorly last night. He still had no fever, but it’s been three nights of runny nose, coughing, sneezing, and cranky baby. Enough. Good thing too ‘cause it was the beginning of an ear infection. This is his fifth one this year. Dr. Jill says one more infection and he’ll have to see an ear, nose, and throat specialist. We’ll see what happens. We also talked about Jayden’s speech, or his lack of speech, but she’s not concerned.
1.) Boys take longer to develop their words.
2.) Because we are teaching him Spanish and English, his speech development could be slow, but now is the perfect time to learn both languages and she’s fully supportive of that.
3.) Repetitive ear infections could damage hearing and slow learning, but that’s yet to be seen.
Bottom line is that she’s not concerned and she will re-asses at his two year check up. Right now, Jayden is going on 21 months are his words include:
* Mama
* Dada
* Ni-ni (Night-Night)
* Gracias (This used to be his standard response to everything, but now he only uses it once in a blue moon.)
* Yes
* No
* Yeah!
* Ok.
* Uh-oh
I guess that’s not too bad. I was just worried that if he was behind the other kids, when the baby was born, he could slow down even more or worse go back to baby talk. Oh well, I worry too much I guess.

2 comments:

Chau said...

Yeah!! I can post comments now. I think Maya is a beautiful name by the way. I hope you get to name your daughter that!

Unknown said...

Jayden will talk in due time. My friends son didn't start talking until he was 3 yrs old. He is perfectly fine. She used to worry about his speech and after he turned 3 he started talking up a storm. Don't worry sis.