Saturday, June 23, 2007

New Do! Oh no...

So I’m going back to work in a few days and I wanted to have a new look. I made an appointment for a haircut with the woman who has been styling my hair for years. I have been letting my hair grow out since last September and it’s grown quite a bit, but waiting sucks. Anyway, I went in for a trim, and when I got there I asked about possibly coloring my hair. I really trust her opinion. She suggested doing some highlights. I was really excited and went for it. Well, when they took that towel off of my head and I looked in the mirror, I almost keeled over. My highlights were red. Literally, they were red. When she said red, I assumed she meant a natural hair color with a red base. I didn’t know she meant crayola red. I immediately looked at Esteban who said he liked it. He said I just wasn’t used to it. I couldn’t be sure if Esteban was saying it looked nice because he really thought so or just to be nice. Maybe I would feel differently in the morning. Maybe the color wouldn’t look as intense after the first wash. I don’t know. I immediately went to see my girlfriend Maria. She always keeps it real. Wow! It looks nice. That was her reaction. My 7th grade English teacher once said, “Nice is the word you use when you don’t have anything nice to say.”
I definitely can’t keep this look for work. It will never work. I work where we hire business professionals and preach the professional appearance policy to all the candidates. I keep looking at it and wondering what to do next. I look at myself over and over again in the mirror and I don’t know who I am looking at. I feel like the new look makes me look like an older woman trying to look young. Maybe this look is in now, as the hairdresser said, but I feel like I’m too old to pull off this trend. Only one thing to do now. I’ve made an appointment to go back to re-do my new look. New pictures to follow…

Jayden got his haircut too. I love his new cut. This time, it came out really well. I am thrilled. Not only that, he was so well behaved and sat pretty still. He tolerated the cape and he even sat still during the buzz portion of the cut. Here’s my little prince.

2 comments:

Chau said...

Jayden looks like such a big boy in the barber's chair. He's adorable! I was a little shock to see your new hair-do. LOL. All I can say is WOW. You look like those rocker moms! hehe. I would've have the same reaction if I was in your shoes also. How funny that your hairdresser think it's totally appropriate for your work.

Lauren said...

Elizabeth--As Jocelyn would say, you look like a rockstar! I actually think it's very cute, but I can certainly understand wanting a more "professional" look. I'd try washing it a few times--with as dark as your hair is, and as difficult as it is to keep red in anybody's hair, (I've tried many times) it's bound to fade quite a bit. Good luck!