Esteban was on his way home from work after his shift on Saturday and no more than five minutes from home, he was in a terrible accident. I’ll spare you all the details. I can tell you that he called me around 1am and instantly I knew something was wrong. I could hear it in his voice. I wanted to go to him so badly, but it was so cold out and the kids were sleeping. I didn’t know how long it would be before the police arrived so instead I waited at home for him to call me back.
Jayden was in bed with me, because he was giving me an especially hard time at his bedtime and all I could do was hug on him and pray. I just started to give thanks to God. Thanks for saving my husband. Thanks for not leaving me alone. Thanks for not making me a widow. Thanks for not making me a single parent of two kids. Thanks for not taking my children’s father away. Thanks for sparing me from having to explain to Jayden that Daddy wasn’t coming home because he was in heaven. It’s bad enough when Jayden asks me a zillion times a day “Where’s daddy?” and I reply each time with “Daddy’s working”. He just doesn’t get it.
The officer was kind enough to bring him home since the car was un-drivable. He slowly crept in and crawled into bed. Neither of us could sleep. I knew he was wide awake. No snoring. I actually need to hear the sound of his snore to sleep. I just held on to him tight. I don’t know what he was thinking, but I was just Thankful that he had made it home safe and with minor injuries.
We made it through the night and got up to go get our personal belongings from the car which had been towed. What a sorry sight! I had to choke back tears. First and foremost, the car was a complete wreck. Totaled! It was scary to think that he had been in it at the time of impact. It was a miracle he walked out of there with just a few burns and bruises from the airbags. I couldn’t believe he hadn’t gotten more cuts since the windshield and the passenger window had busted.

Then my thoughts turned to the material. The fact of the matter is that now we are down one car and we live in an area with no public transportation. What are we going to do? Esteban doesn’t know how to drive my car. It’s a stick. Both our cars were paid off. Now, we would have to get another car and get into a car payment all over again. Esteban’s car was in such great condition. It would have lasted him another few years. And then, it’s a holiday week. I’m exhausted just tossing it all around in my head and yet there’s no sense in doing so. We’ve done all we could. We reported the incident and are waiting to hear back from the adjuster. We are sharing my car for now and I guess we’ll have to squeeze in car shopping on Black Friday!
Jayden was in bed with me, because he was giving me an especially hard time at his bedtime and all I could do was hug on him and pray. I just started to give thanks to God. Thanks for saving my husband. Thanks for not leaving me alone. Thanks for not making me a widow. Thanks for not making me a single parent of two kids. Thanks for not taking my children’s father away. Thanks for sparing me from having to explain to Jayden that Daddy wasn’t coming home because he was in heaven. It’s bad enough when Jayden asks me a zillion times a day “Where’s daddy?” and I reply each time with “Daddy’s working”. He just doesn’t get it.
The officer was kind enough to bring him home since the car was un-drivable. He slowly crept in and crawled into bed. Neither of us could sleep. I knew he was wide awake. No snoring. I actually need to hear the sound of his snore to sleep. I just held on to him tight. I don’t know what he was thinking, but I was just Thankful that he had made it home safe and with minor injuries.
We made it through the night and got up to go get our personal belongings from the car which had been towed. What a sorry sight! I had to choke back tears. First and foremost, the car was a complete wreck. Totaled! It was scary to think that he had been in it at the time of impact. It was a miracle he walked out of there with just a few burns and bruises from the airbags. I couldn’t believe he hadn’t gotten more cuts since the windshield and the passenger window had busted.


Then my thoughts turned to the material. The fact of the matter is that now we are down one car and we live in an area with no public transportation. What are we going to do? Esteban doesn’t know how to drive my car. It’s a stick. Both our cars were paid off. Now, we would have to get another car and get into a car payment all over again. Esteban’s car was in such great condition. It would have lasted him another few years. And then, it’s a holiday week. I’m exhausted just tossing it all around in my head and yet there’s no sense in doing so. We’ve done all we could. We reported the incident and are waiting to hear back from the adjuster. We are sharing my car for now and I guess we’ll have to squeeze in car shopping on Black Friday!




3 comments:
How scary. Glad he is okay!!
OMG--How scary! Thank goodness he was okay! I'm sorry to hear the car was completely totaled. Hopefully something will work out for you guys...things always seem to have a way to doing that.
Must have been a frightening few hours for you. Seeing pictures of the car bring me chills. I am so glad he's okay. I often wonder what we will do if god forbid we had to run to the emergency room for something.
Post a Comment