Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

On Father’s Day, I wanted to make a special breakfast for Esteban. I was planning on making stuffed french toast with fresh strawberries and bananas. I got up and quickly tended to the kids. I kept them as quiet as possible, changed diapers, got them milk and then breakfast. I jumped into the kitchen to prepare my masterpiece and Jayden and Maya were immediately getting into trouble. I was trying so hard to bite my tongue because I didn’t want to raise my voice and wake up Esteban. I started working on the batter, but had to stop every few minutes to quietly correct, discipline or separate Jayden and Maya. I kept looking at the clock because my goal was to have breakfast ready by 9:30 so we could make it to church after.

Finally, I finished the batter and I was mentally yelling at myself for not preparing it the night before when I saw Jayden pushing the high chair out of the way. He was standing next to his booster seat and he started to lure Maya there. Now, Jayden knows I don’t want Maya there because always gets into trouble. The laptop connection is there along with my breast pump bag, my purse, and the baby bag. I had moved on to the filling for my french toast when I heard Jayden whispering, “Maya, come on”. In a hushed but stern voice I said, “Jayden, no”. I was double checking my recipe and making some measurements when I turned just in time to see Maya tangled in the cord and knocking over my bag full of flyers and coupons yet to be cut! “MAYA!”

I was so mad. Can’t I do anything without having to stop a million times? I picked her up, brought her to her room and put her in the crib so of course she starts wailing. I went back for Jayden and I pull him to his room. At that point, they were both screaming and so naturally Esteban woke up. So much for a quiet morning and breakfast in bed.

All in all, it turned out well. I got breakfast ready. He enjoyed the artwork that the kids had colored for him the night before. We had our breakfast, cleaned up and went to church. Jayden cried for the first 5 minutes at the nursery and then got over it. (Yeah!) We enjoyed a wonderful service. The children’s church sang a song for all the daddies and then they shared a special presentation put together by the staff for the dads. It was full of all the things we as adults remember our dads saying to us when we were kids. It was very cool and I couldn’t help but smile. After the service, we picked up Jayden, who was now in the playground and he was having a great time. He had even made a special card for Daddy.

It was really too bad that Esteban had to leave to work, but I was happy that we had a memorable time together.

0 comments: