Sunday, May 31, 2009

Would Have Been...

Today would have been my 17th year anniversary with my job. Instead, it was the first day of my new life. You would think that I would be over it by now, but it still hurts. Even though, I am settling into my new role as a homemaker and enjoying my time with Jayden and Maya, I can't help but think of what would have been.

I first came to Florida because of this job. When I first applied, I was shot down and when I applied the second time, it was not my idea. It was because my friend dragged me to the information session. And when I got the job and he didn't, I was stunned. I thought about the gigantic change it mean for me and considered declining the offer. But I took that fateful trip from NJ to FL and it turned out to be a wonderful experience for me. I can't imagine what my life would have been like or how I would have turned out had I stayed. I only know how grateful I am that I did come because it helped shape me and make me who I am today.

Still, seventeen years is a long time. I was so hoping to make my 2oth anniversary and earn my ring. So very disappointing.

Have I ever been committed to anything for so long? Let's see. It took me 14 years to graduate from college. I've owned my home for 13 years. I've been married for 8 years. I've had my car for 7 years and my dog for 5 years. And I've been lucky enough to be blessed with Jayden for 4 years and Maya for 2.

Yes, seventeen years is a long time. But that chapter of my life is over. And now, God willing, it's time to see what the next seventeen years bring.

0 comments: