Saturday, August 16, 2008

Hard Core Potty Training: Day 1

I have a reached a point where I am sick and tired of changing the poop diapers of a child that knows when he has to go, but refuses to use the potty. Two nights ago, I told Jayden that if he went poop in his diaper without telling me first, he was going to get pow-pow. That’s the Puerto Rican way of saying you’re going to get a spanking. You know what Jayden did? He held it. He hasn’t gone poop ever since. Can you believe the stubbornness of this child? So that’s it. Today, I’ve decided is the day. Enough!

I started by removing Jayden’s diaper and I put on his undies. He was not happy and Esteban had to hold him while I get his underpants on. We took him to the potty several times and nothing. Then he went outside to the screen room where no one was looking and pooped in his undies. So, I gave him a spanking. I hated to do it, but following the advice of books has gotten me no where so far. While I cleaned up the mess, Jayden sat in his potty chair looking sad. I explained that he should use the potty if he has to go pee or poop and he said ok.

The rest of the day, I took him to the potty every hour or so. Success was rewarded with candy. He was loving that part. He only had two accidents. Once, he peed half in the potty and half on the floor. (That’s still a success to me.) The second time, he must have leaked, caught himself and stopped the flow. I took him to the potty and he finished his business there. For nap, he wore a pull up, which was inflated by the time he woke up. And at bedtime, he wore a diaper. We went through 3 pairs of undies all day. I’m utterly exhausted, but it was a very good first day indeed.

2 comments:

Photography By Alyssa said...

That's going to be the way to do it. Slowly he will go less and less in his pants. Sorry it's not going easy but it sure will be worth it here soon. Hope it's getting better.

fixedonHIM said...

That is so Awesome Elizabeth! :)

Praise God...what a praise report!!! Stay strong, battling the will is not fun. I had one like Jayden too...it was so hard at times...I think more on us than them! For me the biggest temptation was to give in...it was so much work to clean up...the time involved...the frustration that never seemed to end!!! :)

Be encouraged while you are in this short season, rely on the Lord declaring...I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me!! Philippians 4:13

Love,
Denise